On Sunday, I set a goal to create a new ketubah. Given that my previous ketubot have taken anywhere from 15 to 200 hours to complete, this was a rather ambitious goal… However, now that I can create the text with my calligraphic fonts, rather than having to letter all versions of all texts by hand in calligraphy, it’s a much more achievable goal than in the past. And having a self-imposed time limit forced me to keep it simple and just do it (very good for me, who tends to obsess over the smallest detail, inevitably resulting in a certain level of paralysis).
What a coup that I was not only able to design and paint the ketubah, but get it scanned, colorized, and up for sale on ketubahworks.com!
I’ve been awed by the work of Adolf Bernd for years, and I used his beautiful watercolors as my inspiration here, sticking with complementary colors on the original painting – manganese blue to orange, and shades in between.
Then, after scanning, there was more fun to be had with Photoshop, playing with new color combinations! Here are just a couple; the possibilities are endless.
The most exciting part, though, is that I feel like I’ve busted through a block I’ve had for years, which surrounded my drafting table with an energy field of “work, not play.” Finally the energy seems to have shifted back to “play, explore, experiment, have FUN dammit!”
I got into the ketubah business because I love making art. Turning it into a business just sort of.. happened. But when my passion became the way I earned my daily bread, my relationship to it shifted. (A subject I hope to explore in future musings here.) I wouldn’t trade my job for anything, but I am grateful and awed that I feel reconnected with the creative spirit that got me into this biz in the first place.